21 August 2011

Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Quartz

I
numberless clear crystals
arranged to opacity
and varrying whites

II
Sorry I'm late.
A small bump in the path
tripped me up.

III
This small rock
(the length of my pinky)
was once part of something larger:
a mountain.
We are all small,
and yet part of the whole
of humanity.

IV
A glint caught by
the corner of my eye
Then lost in the dirt
until a short wind
revealed it to me.
A happy discovery.

V
Without its own locomotion
it travelled quite far,
no quartz sources nearby.
A few minor forces
combined,
water trickling,
a short kick,
but it made it here.

VI
Small beauties in life
like this bit of quartz
are often surprises.
Appreciate them.

VII
Straight edges
softened with time.
Half rough and
half smooth sides.
Some parts got more wear.

VIII
Cracks & crevices
too small to notice
but for the dirt
clinging in them.
Oh, the dirty details.

IX
looks to be a puzzle
with pieces carefully put together
and not easily pried apart

X
a rock hurled
a face cut
a crystal reddened
a scar formed

XI
Chance made it cloudy,
imperfect.
But not unbeautiful.

XII
Random gifts of
beauty are proof
the universe loves us.

XIII
“I found this shiny rock
just for you, Mommy.”
A little girl's
I love you.


Inspired by Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird by Wallace Stevens
We Write Poems Prompt #68
Poetry Pantry #63

15 comments:

  1. Wallace Stevens keeps coming up on some blogs; I admit I'm not well versed, so it's to the library I go.

    Meantime - regardless of inspiration re: form, this variety of possibilities from one little crystal? AMAZING. From weapon to present to pondering how it got where it is... this took a lot of imagination, real daydreaming in the best possible way. Loved it, Jess! Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/escape-can-be-forever-amy-winehouse/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to amaze me. The journey was quite interesting and unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy - I'm not real familiar with Stevens, but his Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird was just part of a prompt I stumbled upon. It's a nifty poem, though.
    It was fun to sit down and think about all the possibilities. Daydreaming is sometimes the best inspiration.

    Marlene - Thanks! I had fun putting it together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely poem - so full of 'gems' of wisdom - some parts have a haiku feel to them. Good stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed these variations, variegated like the quartz itself. Cleverly constructed and well executed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gabrielle - nice pun :) and thank you

    Anna - What a lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, Jess. :-) I must admit ignorance and say I've not heard of Wallace Stevens.

    Did you know gold is found in quartz veins?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul - I hadn't heard much about it before, either. There's a gold/quartz mine two hours from where I grew up that I've visited it a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like stones, shiny or otherwise. I am also fascinated by geodes. So, I like what you did with the prompt. I think the hardest part was choosing the one object to concentrate on. You did a fine job and showed us all sorts of facets we might not have considered. Thanks,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! The beauty of some of your observations. So very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth - a lovely comment, thanks

    Mike - As a scientist, I often practice observation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this, and the ending was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chance made it cloudy,/imperfect./But not unbeautiful.

    Ahh. Ain't we all.

    This is just one facet of the many beautiful aspects of this work. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deborah - thank you! They're written in the order they came to mind, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Ron - That is one of my favorite bits. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, let's hear it for the dirty details!
    enjoyed your 13.

    ReplyDelete